Sunday, July 30, 2017

Navigating Monarchies and Mythologies and what I'm doing in Denmark for these next 3 months

I am currently on a 3 month residency in Copenhagen. My living arrangements are provided by the Nordea Fonden and the rest is self-funded through the sale of artwork and commission projects. That's a pretty amazing statement to make as I am also here with my 3 children (ages 9, 7 and 4) and my mentally challenged older brother. There was a time in my life where this seemed impossible, so I am very grateful to be in this space realizing projects and sharing that with my family.



I am here working on several projects as the fervor of the centennial year and the anniversary of the transfer of the Virgin Islands from Denmark is still quite ardent. Upon leaving St. Croix I was busy finishing a new piece for an exhibition at the GL Holtegaard.  The process of how this piece materialized is quite interesting for me. The curator had requested another piece that was not available as it was recently sold to another institution and was on permanent display. The curator pushed me to think about possibly making an edition of the piece which after thinking about it I decided against it, and then later pushed me to think about creating another work that was similar. I say all of this because most of my projects are quite self-generated. It was quite unique to have someone from the outside push me in that way and I am to happy say it expanded my practice. I am grateful to Marie for challenging me and believing in me. And am looking forward to seeing the piece installed. The exhibition is entitled "Colonial Stories: Power and People" and I am thrilled to be a part of it. The piece I am exhibiting is entitled "On The Service To A Kingdom" and its in reference to the series of dessert service plates that were commissioned by the King of Denmark in the 19th century to depict his Kingdom. 

There were 81 in all, and there is only one that directly depicts the former Danish West Indies, a plate of St. Thomas bay and harbor. What is curious about this image is that it looks like all the other landscapes in color and there seems to be no record indicating that the artist actually travelled to the colonies. So this image stands as an imagined space, and I have replicated it across 45 paper plates in acrylic. It was a challenge for me because although I work across a variety of media, I have started painting again over the past 3 years with my Chaney paintings after a 10 year hiatus. So I grew a lot with this work. I am very happy about this. 


In a week I am also about to start a commission project with the Royal Copenhagen, the famous Danish brand of porcelain products. This has been a courtship in my mind of about 2 years with me pitching a project last summer to use my Chaney paintings as an inspiration for a Centennial commemorative plate. It was a real pitch meeting, like the kind of meeting where after someone lets you know how rare it is to even get a meeting with them, and tells you all the different kinds of proposals they receive on a weekly basis they look at you and say: "So who are you?". Although the Centennial plate was off the table because the company no longer makes those kinds of plates anymore, I was invited to do the Årets Harald  or "Harald of the Year" prize. The prize is a figure of an owl decorated by a different artist each year and is given to the most esteemed professor of the University of Copenhagen and presented by the Queen of Denmark. I am quite excited about this.

 Although the Royal Copenhagen has a long tradition working with artists I figured I was the first Virgin Islander, and then was told I was also the first black artist. In addition to the "Harald" the Royal Copenhagen is assisting with the production of a series of plates based on my Chaney paintings that will be exhibited at the Christiansborg Palace in an exhibition entitled "Behind Colonial Mirrors"  I will be showing alongside three other artists and several of the royal collections of objects and furniture that deal with the former Danish West Indies. I am also quite grateful for this experience and the opportunity to be able to be a part of the conversation about the history. The queen will also be formally opening this event which I think is quite significant as the exhibition is entering into a critical dialogue about the history. 

I am also working on the uncertain archives  project with the Department of Cultural Studies at University of Copenhagen. This is the entity that helped to facilitate my Nordea Fonden residency. Over the past several years a team from the Danish National Archives have been digitizing the millions documents that represent the archives from the former Danish colonies in Caribbean. The hopes are to make this shared history accessible to everyone and the availability of these documents will coincide with the 100 year anniversary of the transfer of the Virgin Islands from Denmark to the United States in 1917. However, there are structural challenges that are embedded in the creation of such a digital archive: questions surrounding authority, authenticity and subjectivity. I have been invited to create a new work that deals directly with the archives and some of these issues surrounds these questions.


I am also working on a public sculpture project with Jeannette Ehlers. It is a hybrid sculpture that combines two of our previously conceived works into one large scale piece. This requires its own blog post because it is a major project and very complex and multilayered. However, to say something briefly, the piece is inspired by Queen Mary, one of the leaders of the 1878 labor revolt in St. Croix and incorporates coral stones imported from St. Croix that were cut from the ocean to build the foundation of the colonial structures. I'll put a link to the post on the project as soon as I write one.

I also will be working on another commission project with the Flensburg Maritime Musuem, a border town in Germany that used to belong to the Danish empire and who is the originator of the Danish yellow bricks very popular in the colonial structures of the islands. Flensburg is known for the place where the rum was imported too, they even still have a rum regatta I am told, although they don't seem to have much memory of where the rum originated from. The director of the museum wanted to change this by creating an exhibition that dealt with this complex history and has invited me to create a work inside the exhibition.


(pause for a breath)

And I'll be doing some talks and workshops at some institutions along the way and writing, and seeing endless exhibitions and eating a lot of Danish pastries and going to parks and the zoo and Legoland and other things with my kids.






Follow me on
Instagram: lavaughn_belle
Twitter: belleonblast






16 comments:

  1. http://photos.cloudymaster.com/photo-albums/wppaspec/oc1/lnen/cv0/ab10/pt65

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Testimony of financial breakthrough from GOD through the help of Funding Circle Loan INC. (fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622)...

      Hi I'am Evelyn Russell resident at 808 NE 19th St Oklahoma City, I am a single mother blessed with 2 daughters. For a while now I have been searching for a genuine loan lender who could help me with a loan as I no longer have a job, all I got were hoodlums who made me trust them and at the end they took my money without giving me any loan, my hope was lost, I got confused and frustrated, it became difficult for my family to feed with a good meal, I never wanted to have anything to do with any loan lending companies on the internet again. Not until I met a Godsent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family Through the help of a fellowship member "a lender with the fear of God in him Mr JASON RAYMOND, he was the man God sent to elevate my family from suffering. At first I thought it wasn’t going to be possible due to my previous experience until I received my loan worth $135,000.00 USD in less then 24hours. So my advise to anyone out there genuinely in need of a loan is to contact Funding Circle Loan INC through this official email:- fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(406)732-6622 and be financial lifted.


      Delete
    2. FINANCIAL BREAKTHROUGH

      Life indeed is GRACE, I'am Daan Sophia currently in California USA. I would like to share my experience with you guys on how I got a loan of $185,000.00 USD to clear my bank draft and start up a new business. It all started when i lost my home and belongings due to the bank draft I took to offset some bills and some personal needs. I became so desperate and began to seek for funds at all means. Luckily for me I heard a colleague of mine talking about this company, I got interested although i was scared of being scammed, I was compelled by my situation and had no choice than to seek advise from my friend regarding this very company and was given their contact number, getting intouch with them really made me skeptical due to my past experience with online lenders, little did i know this very Company "PROGRESSIVE LOAN INC. was a godsent to me and my family and the entire Internet World, this company has been of great help to me and some of my colleague and today am a proud owner of well organized business and responsibilities are well handled all thanks to Josef Lewis of (progresiveloan@yahoo.com).. So if really you are genuinely in need of a loan either to expand or start up your own business or in any form of financial difficulty, i advise you give Mr Josef Lewis of Progressive loan the opportunity of financial upliftment in your life Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565 and not fall victim of online scam in the name of getting a loan. thanks


      Delete
  2. Hi everyone, i am Chloe Raymond am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email BRIANLOANCOMPANY0@GMAIL.COM, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: BRIANLOANCOMPANY0@GMAIL.COM or Call/Text +1(803) 373-2162

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asian has wide-ranging TV programmers showing everyday to the audiences. Each country has its own feature TV show to represent its culture or social.

    Watch Best Hindi Dramas

    ReplyDelete
  4. BETTERMENT FUNDING {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}
    Hi everyone, i am Alexis Ohanian am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  5. BETTERMENT FUNDING {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}
    Hi everyone, i am Alexis Ohanian am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  6. ATTENTION ARE YOU IN NEED OF PERSONAL LOAN/INVESTMENT LOAN/BUSINESS FUNDING???Email: goodnewsloancompany7@gmail.com
    We have provided over $30 Billion in business loans to over 50,000 business owners just like you. We use our own designated risk technology to provide you with the right business loan so you can grow your business. Our services are fast and reliable, loans are approved within 24 hours of successful application. Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don't know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? LoansNow international financial company is the answer. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. We offer loans from a minimum range of $10,000 to a maximum of $700 million Dollars. Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. Give us a try and be free from financial problems by Phone Contact: ++1 (860)866-4085 Email: goodnewsloancompany7@gmail.com In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved. Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable Email us via: goodnewsloancompany7@gmail.com
    Our services include the following below
    ______________________________________________________
    *Personal loans *Truck & Car Loans *Debt consolidation loans
    *Student Loans *Home & Hotel Loans *Marriage & Celebration Loans
    *Agricultural & Farm Loans *Real Estate & Construction Loans
    *Business Start-up Loans or Business Expansion Loans. We offer all types of loans
    We are a financial consultants that handles international finances for any amount of banking instruments. We have the access/contacts to raise from $10 thousand to $700 Million Dollars. We have brought ailing industries back to life and we back good business ideas by providing funds for their up start. We have network of Investors that are willing to provide funds of whatever amount to individuals and organizations to start business and operations. Our company has recorded a lot of breakthroughs in the provision of first class financial services to our clients, especially in the area of Loan syndication and capital provision for individuals and companies. We offer loan to individual and public sector that are in need of financial Assistance in a low interest rate of 2%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and Conditions are very simple and considerate, We are a group of energetic and experienced loan professionals with thorough knowledge of financial markets, we are committed in providing our customers and suppliers with simple and competitive forms of finance solutions for all business users. I believe you might be interested in starting up a new business in need of funding or expanding the scope of your already existing businesses, our investors are also interested in funding / partnering and ready to invest large sum on traders who are ready to proof their expertise in the new industry with our reliable loan company and other TOP PRIME AAA BANKS like Bank of America, HSBC, Lloyds, Wells Fargo, The Best Banks for SBA Loans and many more. You will never regret anything in this loan transaction because i will make you happy via email {goodnewsloancompany7@gmail.com} getting a loan from this company is 100% assured and guaranteed contact by email goodnewsloancompany7@gmail.com
    Regards
    Goodnewsloancompany
    Phone Contact: +1 (860)866-4085
    Email: goodnewsloancompany7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get A Blank ATM CARD And Cash Good Money/Funds Pay Your Debt directly today in any ATM machine around you anywhere in the world. contact cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com.. It's 100% guaranteed secure with no worries of being caught because the blank card it's already programmed and loaded with good funds in it, in such a way that's not traceable which also have a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you, i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your Card, Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    WhatsApp contact: +27733798090

    ReplyDelete
  8. NEED A LOAN?
    Ask Me.

    Here comes an Affordable and Legit Loan that will change your life for ever, I am Dave Logan a certified loan lender, I offer loan to individual and public sector that are in need of financial Assistance in a low interest rate of 2%. Bad credit acceptable,The Terms and Conditions are very simple and considerate.You will never regret anything in this loan transaction because i will make you smile. Email: (daveloganloanfirm@gmail.com) have you been looking for a quick and legit loan online why don't you try Dr. Dave Logan loan company and be free from debts note getting a loan from this company is 100% assured and guaranteed. for the bible says””Luke 11:10 Everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened”.so do not let these opportunity pass you by because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever more.


    We have provided over $50 Billion in business loans to over 25,000 business owners just like you. We use our own designated risk technology to provide you with the right business loan so you can grow your business. Our services are fast and reliable, loans are approved within 48 hours of successful application. We offer loans from a minimum range of $10,000 to a maximum of $800 million.

    Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don't know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? Dr. Dave Logan Loan Home is the answer. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. contact us via Call/Text: +1(501)800-0690 Email: daveloganloanfirm@gmail.com

    Our services include the following;
    Truck Loan
    Personal Loan
    Debt consolidation loan
    Car Loans
    Business Loan
    Student Loan
    Mortgage Loan
    Refinancing Loan
    Home Loan
    Improvement loan
    Construction Loan

    Please if you are interested in our financial offer and delighted, do not hesitate to contact us if urgently in need of our service as they will be required to complete the following information to begin with the process of your loan therefore ultimately.

    Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. Dave Logan
    Call/Text: +1(501)800-0690

    ReplyDelete
  9. GET YOUR BLANK CARD FOR FINANCIAL BREAKTHROUGH (blankatmcard.online@yahoo.com ) or WATSAPP: +1 (845) 381 3566


    WHEN I GOT MY BLANK ATM CARD FROM CJ BLANK CARD (BLANKATMCARDS.ONLINE@YAHOO.COM)EVERYTHING CHANGED FOR ME!!!


    Hello Guys, My Life will never remain the same!!! I’m so happy I got mine from JL CORPORATION. My blank ATM card can withdraw €3000 weekly. I got it from them last week and now I have up to €23,000 since the past few weeks. The ATM card withdraws money from any automated teller machines worldwide. There’s no name on it, it’s also untraceable. I was directly linked to this organization on the dark web and I’m really happy i got lucky enough to meet them because I’m a 99.9% skeptical when it comes to things like this, but it turns out they work as underground launderers in turkey, mostly ziraat bank and have a 100% policy against scams. The card can be sent to you through DHL in two days if you contact them early via e-mail:BLANKATMCARDS.ONLINE@YAHOO.COM or WATSAPP: +1 (845) 381 3566 or kindly find more on their website Get yours now. I mean right now if you know you’re struggling financially and thank me for eternity. Bye for now. +1(678)753 2440

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr. Alpha Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr. Alpha Loan Firm via Email call or add us on what's app+91-9818603391 Contact Us At : clemalphafinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  11. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 4 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 72hrs
    Get unsecured working capital?
    call or add u
    Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 4 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 72hrs
    Get unsecured working capital?
    call or add us on what's app +91-9818603391
    Email us: clemalphafinance@gmail.com
    s on what's app +91-9818603391
    Email us: clemalphafinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At : clemalphafinance@gmail.com
    Phone number :+91-9818603391 (Whatsapp Only)

    LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:
    ================================
    *Commercial Loans.
    *Personal Loans.
    *Business Loans.
    *Investments Loans.
    *Development Loans.
    *Acquisition Loans .
    *Construction loans.
    *Credit Card Clearance Loan
    *Debt Consolidation Loan
    *Business Loans And many More:

    LOAN APPLICATION FORM:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....

    Contact Us At clemalphafinance@gmail.com
    Phone number :+91-9818603391 (Whatsapp Only)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you in need of Urgent Loan Here no collateral required all problem regarding Loan is solve between a short period of time with a low interest rate of 2% and duration more than 20 years what are you waiting for apply now and solve your problem or start a business with Loan paying of various bills You have come to the right place just
    contact us abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  14. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A GENUINE FINANCE COMPANY LAST WEEK. Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I am Mrs,Leores J Miguel by name, I live in United State Of America, who have been a scam victim to so many fake lenders online between November last year till July this year but i thank my creator so much that he has finally smiled on me by directing me to this new lender who put a smile on my face this year 2020 and he did not scam me and also by not deceiving or lying to me and my friends but however this lending firm is BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE (drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com) gave me 2% loan which amount is $900,000.00 united states dollars after my agreement to their company terms and conditions and one significant thing i love about this loan company is that they are fast and unique. {Dr.Benjamin Scarlet Owen} can also help you with a legit loan offer. He Has also helped some other colleagues of mine. If you need a genuine loan without cost/stress he his the right loan lender to wipe away your financial problems and crisis today. BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Call/Text: +1(415)630-7138 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    When it comes to financial crisis and loan then BENJAMIN LOAN INVESTMENTS FINANCE is the place to go please just tell him I Mrs. Leores Miguel direct you Good Luck....

    ReplyDelete